As a woman, menstruation is compulsory and keeping good hygiene during this period is crucial as you are more open to bacterial infections and other germs during the period of menstruation. However, it is also important to keep good hygiene always for male and female.
Below is a list of ways to maintain good hygiene during menstruation:
i. Frequent removal of tampons; tampons are superb aids during menstruation as they capture the menstrual flow before it leaves the vagina. However, be warned because if not removed on time, the release can be caused to eventually stain your underwear or even stain your skirt and may also encourage the growth of excess bacteria in the vagina that may lead to Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS) which sometimes can be fatal.
ii. Changing of the sanitary pads; during menstruation, sanitary pads are prefered to tampons by some women so if this is the case with you then here are the things to do to ensure good use and adequate hygiene on sanitary pads during menstruation;
* you must be aware of the time the sanitary pad becomes saturated which you should be prepared to change every 3-4 hours during the first few days of menstruation and may become 4-6 hours later on average.
*ensure when changing the pad as soon as possible when saturated and since the menstrual blood passes through the vagina, then the vagina should be washed with plain water(no soap) and kept dry and ensure to wash hands afterwards.
*during menstruation, sanitary pads are not the best choices when planning to wearing tight trousers or skirt because as it may force the menstrual blood to leak out
*never attempt to scratch the area where the sanitary pad covers to prevent leakage.
Apart from maintaining good hygiene of the pubic area, its also important to keep other areas of the clean to bacteria infections and body odour to do so, try the following tips
1. Take a bath or shower at least two times a day morning and night.
2. Frequently wash hands after touching the private part for one reason or the other.
3. Wear clean underwear which must be changed regularly.
4. Application of deodorant to always smell nice but never in the vagina as it has its own cleansing agents.
Are we missing something and you’d like to add it, got a burning question or you just have something to say? Drop it in the comments below, we’d be glad you did.